A cross-functional team composed of representatives from the Quality, Human Resources and Administration and Operations organizations, including points of contact from Rad Con, Security, Safety, Facilities, Health and Wellness, Medical and Public Affairs, are working together to ensure the safety of our employees, and to provide guidance and information regarding COVID-19. The team now provides the following guidance, as endorsed by EB Leadership:
Continue to Follow CDC Travel Recommendations:
Please refer to the CDC website for travel resources. The CDC recommends the following:
- Avoid all nonessential travel to China, Iran, Italy and South Korea. Entry of foreign nationals from these destinations has been suspended.
- Older adults or those who have chronic medical conditions consider postponing travel to Japan.
- Travelers should practice usual precautions in Hong Kong.
If you have recently returned from one of these areas or are in close contact with someone who has (i.e., someone who lives in your home), or have been exposed to someone who is currently symptomatic and recently returned from one of these areas, please contact the Medical Team at your location for an evaluation in Groton at (860) 433-3470 and in Quonset Point at (401) 268-2244.
Curtail Non-Essential Travel: Effective immediately, all non-essential domestic and international business air travel should be suspended, unless approved by your cognizant Director. Alternate means of meeting, such as teleconferences and Skype, should be used instead. Business-critical situations may arise that require travel, and those will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Travel via the EB Shuttle will continue as currently scheduled. Employees exhibiting any signs of respiratory illness should, out of courtesy to fellow travelers, not utilize the Shuttle while ill.
Find Alternatives to Tours and Job Interviews: All non-essential visits to EB should be postponed. When possible, we recommend scheduling job interviews by phone.
Practice Self Protection: One of the best ways to keep the workplace healthy is to continue following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control to protect yourself and those around you.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
All existing absence and leave policies remain in effect at this time. If any modifications are enacted, we will notify employees.
We are committed to keeping you informed on news related to this rapidly evolving situation. We have created a repository of information for all employees on Homeport (accessible from the EB Intranet). Here you will find all EB communications issued on this topic, which will be updated when new information becomes available.
The EB Health Services team is available to answer any additional questions or address any concerns. We can be reached in Groton at (860) 433-3470 and in Quonset Point at (401) 268-2244.
Robert Hurley, MD and Susan Andrews, MD (Medical Directors Groton and Quonset Point)